Reports and Websites
Oyster Best Management Practices
Oyster Aquaculture and Restoration
The Chesapeake Oyster Alliance is a multi-year effort designed to spark governmental action, public attention, and funding to accelerate ongoing oyster restoration efforts in the Chesapeake Bay. The ambitious goal of this collaborative effort is to add 10 billion new oysters by 2025 in Virginia and Maryland waters.
Nutrient Credit Trading
Nutrient Crediting of Oyster Aquaculture in Chesapeake Bay by National Centers for Coastal Ocean Science
Job Title: Impact Manager
Type of Position: Full Time
Location: 541 Poplar Street, Cambridge, Maryland 21613
Blue Oyster Environmental is seeking a hard-working, dynamic individual to join our management team as Impact Manager as we begin our mission to reestablish the Eastern Oyster as the cornerstone of the Chesapeake Bay’s ecosystem. We will be counting on you to be the point person to handle nutrient credit sales inquiries and manage our credit acquisitions. You’ll assist in the development and implementation of quality control and reporting procedures that adhere to State guidelines and follow Chesapeake Bay Program Expert Panel Recommendations. It will be necessary to maintain a comprehensive understanding of nutrient trading protocols in Maryland and Virginia. This position will also assist in outreach through various social media platforms and our website by communicating our core mission and company values.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the management team in developing strategies for successful program development, implementation and/or execution.
- Coordinate specific tactics and workplans that bring these strategies to fruition.
- Develop and manage outreach and communications strategies for building fishermen and stakeholder support through education and outreach workshops, site visits and other activities. Assist in coordinating on-the-ground outreach and communication efforts.
- Prepare outreach materials as needed such as media toolkits, educational publications, press releases and other written reports.
- Assist in writing a variety of documents for public consumption including publications, white papers, fact sheets, press releases, blog posts, and op-eds.
- Stay abreast of new developments in oyster aquaculture and nutrient trading.
- Undertake and complete special projects as assigned.
- Represent Blue Oyster Environmental to watermen, oyster growers and other stakeholders.
- Participate in strategy sessions, conference calls and other important meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, environmental science or a related field.
- Ability to work with and communicate complex concepts to colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage various issues.
- Experience in the oyster aquaculture industry.
- Demonstrated ability to work constructively with nonprofit colleagues and partners, scientists and economists, industry leaders, regulators and public policy decision makers.
- Excellent written, communication and presentation skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Experience utilizing ArcGIS Online, Collector and Survey is preferred. Some travel may be necessary.
Compensation and Benefits:
The expected start date for this position is January 2020. Frequent travel throughout the Chesapeake Bay region is required. Blue Oyster Environmental offers a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience.
About the Company:
Located in the heart of Dorchester County on Maryland’s Eastern Shore, we value the heritage that transformed many seaside villages into thriving communities and is committed to championing the Chesapeake Bay Waterman once again.
Interested individuals should submit their cover letter and resume to Jordan Shockley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Blue Oyster Environmental is an Equal Opportunity Employer
(posted December 2019)